Free Consultation


Trach Law offers a free consultation to discuss your legal matters.

We are mobile and able to serve all of Alberta, Saskatchewan, and the Northwest Territories.

Trach Law practices in both Edmonton and all rural Alberta locations, as well as British Columbia, Saskatchewan, and the Northwest Territories. We offer a free consultation and are always available to discuss any questions you may have with respect to your legal matters.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Why do I need a lawyer? Can I represent myself?

It is NEVER a good idea to represent yourself. Lawyers are experts in navigating the criminal justice system. It is like hiring a mechanic to fix your car or seeing a doctor when you are ill - lawyers have a special skill set they use to minimize the jeopardy you face if you are charged with an offence.

I've been charged with a criminal offence. Now what happens?

The police will either release you with a Promise to Appear with your court date OR you will be held and taken before a Justice of the Peace to discuss whether you should be released from jail. IF YOU ARE BEING HELD TO SEE A JUSTICE OF THE PEACE YOU SHOULD CONTACT A LAWYER IMMEDIATELY.

I was pulled over and charged with impaired driving. Now what happens?

All of the above applies, along with an indefinite driving suspension. Your driver’s license remains suspended until your charges are concluded. You should contact a lawyer as soon as possible, as they often have the ability to speed up the process of getting a trial date so that you can deal with your charges as quickly as possible and get your driver’s license back without undue delay.

The police have pulled me over and they want to search my car. What do I do?

NEVER consent to a search of your vehicle. The police DO NOT have an automatic right to search your vehicle. Make it clear that you are NOT consenting to any search, and call a lawyer immediately.

The police tell me I'm under arrest. What do I do?

Remain absolutely silent, and call a lawyer as soon as possible. Lawyers are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—it is never too late in the day to call for advice. Other than your name and birthdate you are NOT OBLIGATED TO TELL THE POLICE ANYTHING. Do not tell them even what may seem to be unimportant details. SAY NOTHING until you have spoken to a lawyer.

If I hire a lawyer, do I have to attend my court dates?

In almost all cases, once you hire a lawyer you do not have to attend your court appearances unless required for trial. One of the reasons you hire a lawyer is to take care of your court appearances so you do not have to miss work or travel for court unnecessarily.

I got a traffic ticket with demerits. Do I just pay it? What are my options?

Most criminal defence lawyers also handle traffic tickets. You have the right to have a trial in relation to your tickets, and can often have your lawyer negotiate a reduction in the ticket and/or the demerits. You should contact a lawyer to discuss this further before simply paying the ticket, as the demerits can have serious implications including increases to your insurance.

How much does a lawyer cost?

Lawyers are not as expensive as you may think. Minor charges can be dealt with in a relatively inexpensive way. The best way to determine the cost of a lawyer for your matter is to call for a consultation. Trach Law offers free consultations either over the phone or in person.

If I have nothing to hide, wouldn't it just be best to be honest with the police?

Anything you tell police that could help you is inadmissible in court. Therefore, even if you think you are telling the police things that will convince them of your innocence, these statements can be used against you later in court. If the police have decided to charge you, there is nothing you can say that will change their minds, and it is possible for you to inadvertently tell them something to substantiate a charge they would not have otherwise laid. ASSERT YOUR RIGHT TO SILENCE until you have had an opportunity to talk to a lawyer.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Family Law

Do I need to prepare anything in advance of my consultation with Trach Law?

No, you do not need to prepare anything before speaking with a family law lawyer. Your initial consultation is an opportunity to openly discuss your family law needs and ask any preliminary questions you may have. If you have an upcoming court date it is important that you know that date and tell the lawyer you are consulting with. Otherwise, the consultation is meant to be an informal conversation to narrow down your legal needs, and for our office to offer practical, plain-language advice.

Do I need a lawyer to file for divorce?

It’s never easy getting a divorce.

A divorce can include complex legal issues that may not be entirely clear to you. If there are children of the relationship issues surrounding child support, parenting time, and decision-making responsibility could all arise. You may be dividing matrimonial property, or one the parties may be seeking spousal support. You need the right guidance and legal advice. The team at Trach Law has the knowledge and experience necessary to advocate for you in any family law or divorce matter.

How long will my divorce take?

Many factors can affect how long it takes to get a divorce, including COVID-19. Even with total cooperation between the parties, with no children and minimal property division, a divorce can still take 12 to 18 months. Of course, the more complex legal issues there are, the more time a divorce may take. Complex and adversarial divorce proceedings can last several years.

My partner and I were never married. Do we still need a lawyer to assist with the division of our property?

The laws about unmarried couples changed on January 1, 2020. The new rules are similar to those that apply to married couples. It is important to consult with a lawyer to determine the issues around the division of property, and if some of that property may be exempt, such as gifts or inheritances. Protect yourself following the breakdown of a relationship. Trach Law can assist unmarried couples, or “Adult Interdependent Partners,” navigate the division of property when they separate.

My ex is seeking custody of our children. What do I do?

Child custody arrangements are often the most emotional and difficult issues to deal with when a relationship breaks down. What is in the best interest of the children is always of the utmost importance in any custody or access dispute.

Trach law can help you and your family through what may seem like an impossible time. Contact our office as soon as possible to give our team an opportunity to provide practical advice on how to deal with child custody and access concerns.

How is child support calculated?

Child support in Canada is determined according to the Federal Child Support Guidelines. If one parent has primary care of the child(ren) the other parent will pay child support based on the Guidelines. If the parties share the children equally, the parties typically set off each other’s income and the party with the greater income pays the difference to the party with the lesser income.

However, there are reasons to deviate from these Federal Guideline amounts, including if a child of the marriage is pursuing post-secondary education. There are also other considerations on top of the Federal Guidelines, what are known as “Section 7 Expenses” that include the cost of daycare, medical and dental expenses not covered by insurance, extraordinary expenses for secondary or post-secondary schooling and extra-curricular activities like hockey, or piano lessons. The family law lawyers at Trach Law are ready to help you and your family determine the appropriate child support amounts.

My ex wants to claim child support from my new partner. Can they do this?

In determining if a non-biological partner may be responsible for paying child support, the Court will consider many factors that could determine if your new partner is “standing in the place of a parent.” These factors are complex and requires nuanced legal arguments. Consult a family law lawyer at Trach Law to learn more.

My child has been apprehended by Children’s Services. What do I do?

It is very important to act quickly. There are many things that can happen in a very short amount of time. Contact a lawyer right away to determine your rights and responsibilities when your child has been apprehended.

I am in a polyamorous relationship and need a lawyer. Will you help me?

Absolutely. The team at Trach Law recognizes family law affects members of the LGBTQIA2S+ community in unique ways. We can provide practical advice on the creation and enforcement of cohabitation agreements. However, the laws in Alberta currently restrict “Adult Interdependent Partners” to only two people. When children are born in a polyamorous relationship, difficulties may arise that require the assistance of a lawyer, and Trach Law can help. We look forwarding to assisting anyone with their family law needs in a safe and respectful way.

Trach Law is Always Available

A lawyer from Trach Law is AVAILABLE 24 HOURS A DAY, 7 DAYS A WEEK to give you advice if you are in police custody. Take advantage of this FREE SERVICE.